Compost Drop Off For Franklinton!
Did you know that last year 40 million tons of food scraps were generated in America? 97% of this locally produced natural resource got tossed into our landfills. Food scraps are totally recyclable and can be converted into a healthy soil amendment; food scrap collection also creates jobs and improves our air, water, and soil. Why waste it? Let’s compost it instead!
The Franklinton Composting Hub pilot project has been created and managed in collaboration with the Franklinton Board of Trade and Land-Grant Brewing Company. We are partnering with Innovative Organics Recycling, a local Ohio EPA licensed composter located on Columbus’ east side to take your food scraps (what we consider our locally created natural resource) and turn them in to a nutrient rich soil amendment.
The pilot will run from April 16th to September 17th and be limited to 100 people who live or work in Franklinton neighborhood. Each participant will receive a 5-gallon bucket , including a tight fitting critter and smell proof lid. A handy label located on the side of the bucket list the “yes’s” and “no’s” making it easy to teach all members of your household what goes in the bucket – “if it grows it goes.” Participants will be able to empty the contents of their buckets at our convenient drop off center located at the north side of Land-Grant Brewing Company's building. Initially, we will offer two convenient drop off times - Wednesday evenings from 4pm-7pm, and Saturdays from 11am to to 3pm. At the end of the pilot period, participants will receive a 5-gallon bucket of compost, created with your food scraps.
Because this is a pilot program, each participant is required to respond to surveys gathering feedback and experience data at the end of each 4 week period. Results from these surveys will inform what direction the Franklinton Composting Hub should take after the pilot period ends. Because this is a pilot program, additional features and drop off methods will be trialed throughout the pilot in order to gauge the level of interest in food and organic waste recycling in the Franklinton neighborhood.
How It Works:
1. Each participants will receive a 5 gallon bucket that clearly lists acceptable foods.
2. The "yes’s and no’s” on our bucket label make it easy to teach anyone how to fill our bucket.
3. Participants can dump their food scraps off at the hub at the North side of Land Grant Brewing Company's building on:
- Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00pm and/or
- Saturday mornings from 11:00am - 3:00pm
4. At the end of the pilot (after Sept. 17), each participant will receive 5lbs of compost from Innovative Organics Recycling.
Two payment options:
1) $2.50/month recurring payment for the pilot period of six months
2) $15 one time payment
Benefits To All Participants
1) No more “icky” smell – recycling your food waste means your “real trash” is a lot lighter, is a lot less, and does not smell.
2) Save time and money – recycling your food waste means fewer bags and possibly fewer pick ups of your "real trash".
3) Help The Environment - Turning your locally produced food waste into nutrient rich compost improves our water, air, and soil.